In the year of 2021 the Nordic Summer Academy for Artistic Research (SAAR) will take place in Helsinki, Finland. It will be organized by the University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki). The venue for SAAR 2021 is Hanaholmen – the Swedish-Finnish Cultural Centre.
SAAR 2021 will bring together up to 18 artistic researchers and 10 supervisors for an intense and stimulating week in August. This year’s gathering under the topic Problems? Soak and Surrenderfocuses to share some of the acute knots, itches and questions that puzzle you right now in your research project.
SAAR is a joint Nordic project between the partner countries Finland, Sweden and Norway. The summer academy provides a supportive setting where artists undertaking a research education (PhD candidates, Doctoral candidates, Doctoral students or Research fellows in artistic research) from all fields collaborate, present their on-going artistic research and receive feedback from peers and experienced tutors from leading academic art institutions. The summer academy aims to reflect the international diversity and scope of artistic research and to provide a stimulating intellectual environment. It seeks to clarify, discuss and develop further emerging themes and issues arising out of the individual projects of the participants.
The activities of SAAR take different forms of intensive conversation, supervision and shared practices. SAAR is based on the participants' projects and activities are centered around their projects as well as questions/thoughts generated by this specific context.
During the week, the participants will also visit the first Helsinki Biennale 2021 at the island of Vallisaari/Skanslandet in Helsinki, as well as visit the Uniarts Helsinki Research Pavilion #4 2021 in Helsinki.
* The SAAR network is coordinated by Uniarts Helsinki and governed by a Nordic Steering Group.
Each participating country in the SAAR network select their participants internally and inform prospective applicants how to apply, as well as inform participants about travel arrangements.
* General information, as well as the schedule, will be published and updated on the website. The event coordinators in Helsinki will also keep all participants up to date via e-mail before and during the event.
* The Helsinki SAAR 2021 is planned by the Finnish institutions that are members of the Finnish SAAR community (Uniarts Helsinki and Aalto University). The practicalities are coordinated by the SAAR network coordinator, Specialist Michaela Bränn (Uniarts Helsinki).
Sunday 8th 2021 before 13:00 (Finnish time) in Helsinki
Saturday 14th 2021 after 14:00 (Finnish time)
The institution of each participant will cover the travel costs. Please contact your own country’s contact person/institution for more details after you have been accepted to the Academy.
Please also discuss with your own countries contact person the covid restrictions and rules that apply to travel! To be able to enter Finland and to be able to fly will require most probably corona tests (within 72 hours of travel), and a corona pass (Schengen/EU, or other). The organizers in Helsinki will update you on Finnish border entry updates etc.
* There is no fee for the participants
* The accommodation costs will be covered by the Nordic SAAR Network
* Breakfast, coffee, lunch, and dinner is included in the accommodation. Dietary restrictions will be taken in consideration – please send in information on allergies etc. to email@example.com as soon as possible!
* The centre has sauna facilities/swimming pool that will be available for participants during parts of the week.
* The weeks program includes an excursion outdoors – please note that regarding clothing!
We will book individual hotel rooms for supervisors and research fellows. Accommodation is included in the network fee paid by the participating country.
Venue: Hanaholmen – the Swedish-Finnish Cultural Centre / Kulturcentrum för Sverige och Finland
Address: Hanasaarenranta 5, Espoo (city)
Tel: +358 (0)9 435 020
Spaces and equipment
There will be opportunities for discussions and presentations, both in smaller groups and all together. There will be access to seminar rooms and spaces outside. There will be a piano available for use in the center. Please send in info of specific needs for equipment or technical support (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we will see what is possible to facilitate on site. Normal meeting tech is available.
The SAAR 2021 schedule and information about practical things will be posted and updated on our website. Updated Information about all practicalities will also be sent out to participants via email before the start of the Summer Academy.